In my opinion, these are, hands down, the best things I think I’ve ever cooked. Each bite is packed with pizza flavor and I can’t get enough of them! I brought a friend a few to try and they polished them off in a matter of seconds, immediately asking for “30 more, please!”
The fresh basil adds a big flavor punch, but the combination of the basil, oregano, paprika, garlic, and onion seemed to meld perfectly to bring all of the pizza flavor in a tiny little bite.
You could definitely sub turkey pepperoni to make them a tad healthier, if you were so inclined, but I used the regular pepperoni and these babies are still only 35 calories per bite. Not bad at all, especially with the protein boost from the quinoa!
It would be easy to adapt these to fit whatever your favorite pizza toppings are – bell peppers, mushrooms, sausage, etc. Just make sure to chop the pieces small so that the bites stick together.
These are kid-friendly, adult-friendly, and make for the perfect party food, especially for watching the big game!
I may need to start making these on a weekly basis.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (cook in low sodium chicken broth for extra flavor)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup chopped pepperoni slices (~1/2 of a 7 oz bag)
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried crushed oregano
- pizza sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together all ingredients, except pizza sauce, in a medium mixing bowl.
- Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (1 heaping Tbs each), and press down gently to compact.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Nutritional Information for 5 bites per My Fitness Pal: Calories - 175, Fat - 10g, Protein - 9g, Fiber - 2g, Calcium - 10mg, Carbs - 12g