I actually made half of these with nuts and half without, partly because I’m not a nut fan and partially because I wasn’t sure if the 11-year-old coming would like them, but I was actually surprised that I preferred the rolls with nuts!
Maybe it was the sweet apple crunch, caramel-y brown sugar filling, buttery soft bread, or the vanilla icing that won me over.
Yeah…it was probably all of that. You should taste for yourself.
Apple Walnut Cinnamon Rolls
Makes 12 rolls
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 Tbs butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp bread machine yeast
- 4-5 Tbs butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbs ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup apple, finely diced
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbs milk
1. Put all dough ingredients into bread machine, according to manufacturer’s instructions. Set to dough cycle.
2. When dough cycle is complete, remove dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15″x12″ rectangle.
3. Spread the softened butter over dough. Sprinkle the brown sugar, cinnamon, walnuts, and apple evenly over dough.
4. Starting with the longest side closest to you, tightly roll up the dough, lightly pinching the end to seal the roll.
5. Cut the roll into 12 equal pieces.
6. Place rolls in a single layer in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
7. Cover and keep in refrigerator overnight.
8. Remove rolls from refrigerator and place into cold oven. Fill a dish with boiling water and set on the rack below the rolls. Close oven door.
9. Let rolls rise for 1-2 hours.
10. Remove rolls and water pan from oven, turn oven on, and preheat to 375 degrees.
11. Bake rolls for 20 minutes.
12. Prepare the glaze by mixing together the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk.
13. Remove rolls from oven. Either pour glaze over the entire pan or roll-by-roll, according to your taste.